LARGE ARTICLE COLLECTION
What Is Considered a “Large Article”?
Items greater than 23 kg (50 lb) in weight, or 1 m (3 ft) in length, cannot be set out as regular garbage, and must either be taken directly to landfill, or set out for Large Article Collection:
- Household furnishings
- Rolls of carpet
- Mattresses and bed springs
- White goods (stoves, dishwashers, dryers, humidifiers, etc)
- Freon-containing appliances* (refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, dehumidifiers)
- Domestic water heaters, furnaces, shower stalls
- Bathtubs, toilets, sinks
- Bicycles, exercise equipment, swing sets
- Lawnmowers, snow blowers
- Lawn furniture, BBQ’s, pool covers
A complete list is provided [here].
*Freon must be removed from these items by a licensed technician prior to collection. Most appliance dealers offer this service for a fee. The City is not permitted to collect these appliances unless they bear this certification. Items containing Freon are accepted at the Peterborough Waste Management Facility (Landfill) for $15.00 per item, which includes Freon removal.
Items that are NOT accepted for Large Article Collection include:
- Televisions, computers, electronics (take to HHW Depot)
- Freon items without certification that the Freon has been removed
- Fluorescent Tubes, propane tanks (take to HHW Depot)
- Construction and demolition waste
- Tires or other automobile parts
- Fuel tanks, 45-gallon drums
- Metal garage doors
- Mirrors, windows
- Stones, blocks, bricks, aggragate
- Roofing materials and eavestroughing
- Fluorescent light bulbs (take to HHW Depot)
- Cupboards, cabinets, wooden doors
- Above ground pools
- Fencing (wood or wire), fence stakes or posts
- Outdoor storage sheds, dog houses
- Hot tubs
What Will It Cost and How is Payment Made?
You may pay for your Large Article Collection on this site with a credit card, or you may pay in person at City Hall or the Public Works Office(200 Townsend St.), 8:30 am - 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday.
Mattresses and box springs are $15.00 each, regardless of quantity.
Cost of other items is $15 for first item, plus $5 for each additional item. Discount will be applied at checkout.
The cut-off for arranging and paying for a Large Article pick-up is the Thursday preceding the collection you choose.
What To Do On Collection Week
You must have your items out to the curb by 7:00 a.m. the morning of collection, which always occurs on a Monday (See dates below). Place the items you have paid to have collected at the curb in front of your residence so as not to block the roadway. Items should be out by 7:00 am the morning of collection, which always occurs on a Monday (see dates below). Large articles may remain on the curb the night before to ensure they are not missed in the morning.
There are six Large Article Collections in 2016:
- April 25th (cut-off is Thursday April 21st end of day)
- May 30th (cut-off is Thursday May 26th end of day)
- June 27th (cut-off is Thursday June 23rd end of day)
- July 25th (cut-off is Thursday July 21st end of day)
- August 29th (cut-off is Thursday August 25th end of day)
- September 26th (cut-off is Thursday September 22nd end of day)
Call City Waste Management at 705-742-7777 Ext. 1657
or the Public Works Dept at 705-745-1386 for more details on Large Article Collections.